Monday, January 27, 2014

Study Abroad Week 3: Lyon!

Fontaine Bartholdi in the Place des Terreaux.

Last week I went on a weekend trip to Lyon, France with the Interculture club at SKEMA business school.  We left from campus Friday afternoon and returned from Lyon Sunday afternoon to arrive back in Antibes at about 8 or 9pm.  The trip was fun and picturesque, especially since Lyon is a city and not a town like Antibes.  The trip went well overall despite some minor hitches, and the hostel was much nicer than anyone expected.

"Spicy" sausage in red wine sauce.  Not spicy, but quite good, although my veggies were rather overcooked.  Overall delicious though!

Friday night we had some traditional Lyonnais cuisine at a traditional French restaurant (included in the trip cost).  Some people did not like their food, some hated it, some loved it.  I loved mine, although my dessert- cervelle de canuts- seemed more of a snack or appetizer to me.  It was a dip with onion, garlic, and vinegar.  It was good, but not what I expected for dessert.  Luckily one of the girls heading the trip wanted that but not her own dessert, which was a fruit tart, so we traded.  Delicious! 

From left to right: A church in Lyon, the basilica from the front, and a miniature layout of old city.
From left to right again: A mighty manticore at the front center of the basilica, the interior of the basilica, and the ruins of the amphitheatre.

Saturday we went to see the amphitheatre ruins of Lyon (still used today), a basilica, then had a few hours of freetime during which we went to a cafe, went to the Museum of Miniatures and Cinema, and browsed around before dinner.  The museum was wonderful and much bigger than it looked, and had lots of interesting displays. 
Left to right: One of Harry Potter's prop wands, a Godzilla egg from the American film, and a Compy from Jurassic Park: The Lost World

From left to right: A miniature, zoomed in, then the same miniature a step back.  The black surrounding is the wall.  Last is a miniature natural history museum display, with all the dinosaurs just a bit smaller than a Barbie doll.

Finally we explore the plaza, where the fountain you see at the opening of the post was.  The moment I saw it I recognized it and rather stupidly said, "OH.  So THAT'S where we are!"
Left to right:  Approaching the fountain, a view of La Fresque des Lyonnais, and the sign for the fresco.

We intended to go to the art museum, but it was closing in 5 minutes so we just walked along some shops.  Around the plaza our friend, who has studied abroad in Lyon, showed us La Fresque des Lyonnais, a fresco of famous people who were from or lived in Lyon.  During shopping I finally found my hobby shop though- I spotted some fabrics in a window and once I registered what they were, I asked my friends to please stop so I could dart in and grab some yarn for a scarf and headwrap or hat to keep my ears and neck warm.  The next day, Sunday, we went to the zoo in Lyon's park, but my camera batteries had decided to die taking the photo of the fountain.  It was a lovely park though!

Good-bye to Lyon.
Au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment